Sunday, October 11, 2009

Burden of Bollywood



Everyone out here is interested in Bollywood, would like to know if India looks like the movies, and they would like to learn bollywood dancing. I feel as much an ambassador of bollywood as India here. My Argentinean friend Lucas, had downloaded the main song from Om Shanti Om and danced on it back home. My Turkish German friend Surreya loves singing ‘chali jaisi hawayen sanan sanan’. And my Sri Lankan friend Kasthuri has trained in classical Indian dancing and bollywood and aspires to set up her own Bollywood dance group in Frankfurt.
Few days ago, I was put in a tight spot when our dance teacher Apo insisted I show everyone an Indian dance, and Kasthuri eagerly switched on the song ‘ring ring ringa’ from Slumdog Millionaire for me. I had to yell out ‘I can’t dance on this song as its about the girl losing her virginity’ for the class to leave me alone. There’s no f#$ing way I’m dancing on Ila Arun going ‘achha’, ‘ohho’ about some khatmal in the bed.
I had to make truce by dancing later that night in my nightie (which people here think is an Arabian summer dress or something) on ‘Hawa Hawai’ from Mr.India. Maulvi, the Indonesian boy had the video downloaded on his laptop.
So I’m compelled to think about the following things- A) what are the quintessential bollywood moves and B) what are the quintessential dance numbers.
And somehow, Govinda, the king of pelvic thrusts comes to my mind. Be it in the song ‘Aa aa ee, o o o’ from Raja Babu or ‘soni de nakhre’ in Partner. Also, Madhuri Dixit from ‘choli ke peeche’ (you know the move I’m talking about) and ‘chane ke khet main’ comes up. In my opinion, the expressions, the context is as important in our songs as the actual moves. Which is why Govinda rocks coz he can emote and dance. I don’t know why, but running in slow motion, banging into each other in slower motion also comes to my mind.
As for the all time dance songs, I’m at quite a loss. Anything that can make your pelvic move is in, I guess. ‘Mehbooba O Mehbooba’, ‘Jawane Jaaneman’ from Namakhalal, ‘jahan teri yeh nazar hai’ are some of my old favorites. I like ‘Ahun ahun’ from Love Aaj Kal too.
I would really appreciate all you help in figuring out
A) typical bollywood moves
B) good dance songs.
Keep in mind youtube is banned in Turkey. If you expect me to get you a gift from Turkey, send me a non-youtube link to some songs, as I’m in deep shit here. I have to teach people bollywood steps and I was depending on a youtube crash course. The strategy was destroyed by the Turkish government, who banned youtube here. Why why why! Since it’s unlawful to openly criticize the government here in Turkey, I’m going to zip it now.

7 comments:

  1. hey gorgeous,
    am going to send u a dance log of mine that u can teach it to your students... and will try sending u the song on email as well.
    so what are bollywood moves? well, as i tell my students that bollywood is constantly evolving and it always incorporates the new 'cool' moves from classical, folk and western - the latest being hip hop... but the non-indians generally like a lot of cheese, shimmys, chest heaves and wide smiles. bhangra hands are the main bollywood move... then the hip flicks, hip bounces, hip-o's and neck moves... :D
    miss ya heaps!
    love,
    ruchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the blog!! Have become a regular reader and BIG FAN!!

    Don't think i can help with the Bollywood songs or dance! Should have learnt some bharatnatyam while you were here!!!

    Miss you!
    Huge hug
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. FROM MY PAL JUGAL MODY-
    I'm presuming you've got the most obvious songs like DDLJ tracks and KKHH tracks.

    SRK-Malaika's traintop Chhaiyya Chhaiyya
    Akshay-Raveena's Tu cheez badi hai mast mast
    Madhuri's Didi tera devar deewana
    Hrithik's famous signature move/song Ek pal ka jeena
    Shah Rukh-Kajol: Yeh kaali kaali aankhein
    Madhuri Dixit's Anjaam song, Channey ke khet mein
    Tabu's Ruk ruk ruk
    Tabu's Mujhe rang de
    Urmila's Rangeela title song
    Dil Chahta Hai, Saif-Sonali, Woh ladki hai kahaan?
    Mamta Kulkarni's Mujhko ranaji maaf karna from Karan Arjun
    Manisha Koirala's Main kooey mein dhakael aayee, neend ke maare
    Sushmita Sen's Main kudi anjaan hoon
    Mamta Kulkarni's Ghatak song Koi jaaye toh le aaye
    Govinda-Karisma songs, there are many but on the top of my head: Hero No. 1, Sarkailo Khatiya (could be from a Broadway musical set in an Indian village!), Raste se jaa raha thhaa, bhel puri khaa raha thhaa.
    Govinda-Raveena's Ankhiyon se goli maare
    Juhi Chawla's Hum hai raahi pyaar ke
    Bipasha's Omkara item songs, on similar lines Shool's Shilpa Shetty song Main aayee hoon UP Bihar lootne
    Govinda-Shilpa Shetty song from Chhote Sarkar Ek chumma tu mujhko udhaar dai de
    Hrithik-Kareena's K3G song at the club
    Madhuri's Sailaab number, Humko aaj kal hai
    How could I forget MOHINI MOHINI MOHINI MOHINI Madhuri's Ek do teen
    Krantiveer - Love Rap (multilingual keeda with Hindi, English AND Marathi!)
    Akbar Sami remix of Dhagala laagli kala from his album Jalwa

    Satya - Sapne mein milti hai, kudi meri sapne mein milti hai (the dance is very ghaati male dance BUT the song is very deadly with lines like: saara din saara din khaali rikshey sa, peechhey peechhe phirta hai)
    Chaal Baaz - Naa jaane kahaan se aayi hai, Sridevi in element, umbrellas AND rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey
    bollywod choreography is shouting out to say anyhting goes kid, just get an over the top and confident expresion and let yr imagination fly. i say make yr own dance moves p

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D I was curious about the Indian in the Istanbul Fellowship and I came to this page somehow! I have wanted to go to Turkey since the past two years but somehow didn't end up applying for the fellowship! Is it all that it is promised to be? Swirling dervishes, white robes fluttering, tea at corners, and promise of the Mediterranean in the air?

    P.S: I am writing here because I saw the bit about googling being a mahout to an elephant, and all I can say is 'SAME PINCH' I dream of bathing baby elephants too more than anything else.

    P.P.S: Did you find out then which is the best way to view whales in the wild? My other 'thing-to-do' is to swim with the Dolphins.

    Yes, this is a random post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Pineapple lungi!

    how the hell did u come up with that name? ummm...whirling dervishes, loads of tea- yes. but minus the spiritualism and idealized ideas we have about it. it is dance. it is glamour. it is having a 26 waist (which i dont) and an insane amt of foot thomping which leaves ur knees collapsed.
    oh wow! im so glad my dreams are shared by others! i thought i was the only looney who wanted to be a mahout and see whales.

    yes i have actually done some good research on the topic..will probably write it up sometime i guess, once i confirm certain things..like prices etc..
    keep on lungi-ng away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok fine big sister (shubhra)!
    JAI BAJARANG BALI,
    SHAKE THAT BELLY!

    ReplyDelete